Old 16-04-2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Potatoes above ground?

Nartker wrote:
For a number of reasons, I planning to grow potatoes in cedar frames above
ground. How high can I build the frames over the initial planting? It
seems I remember my grandfather going a couple of foot, but I was a lot
shorter then.

I've built the courses in 8" increments and can go as many as 4 high. Is 32
inches too deep?

The Varieties are two types of Fingerlings and German Butterballs.

I grow Yukon Gold regularly in cedar containers. They're roughly 2 feet
high and wide. I don't think 32" would be too high (though I'm not
familiar with those types of spuds so I don't know if they have any
special requirements). Other than that, I don't forsee a problem except
that you'll have to dig as far as you plant in order to harvest them.
For most, that would be the fun part.

..