Old 16-04-2006, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Stuffing our environment

"Mike" wrote in message

too slow, way to slow at present rates I believe to turn round the mess

we
have made. Sure, people are becoming aware and efforts are being made to
clean up some of the damage we have done but that doesn't counter

balance
the continuing degredation going on around us all. I am more aware than

many
and I am changing basic things but my lifestyle is masisvely

unsustainable.
The lack of significant change frustrates the hell out of me. My wife

brings
back fking plastic bags from the super market by the truck load and

doesn't
even think about it despite all the times I tell her not to. Its

ingrained
in collective psyches. It makes me want to throw a brick through

someones
window.

rob

rob I was recently on a World Cruise and called in at Port Kelang in
Malaysia to visit Kuala Lumpur and the road from Port Kelang to KA, the
journey takes about an hour, 'was' lined on both sides with Rubber
plantations. I say 'was' because for as far as the eye can see, these have
been grubbed out, the land built up and houses and houses, and flats and
flats and factories and factories are being built. The UK is no longer the
manufacturing nation of the world, hasn't been for a long time and what

was
left, Maggie Thatcher destroyed, the manufacturing is over on the other

side
of the world and that is why they are ripping the place up to build

houses,
factories and accommodation.

But think on a bit, all of these rubber plantations ripped out. Synthetic
unbiodegradeable plastic to replace it? Adding to your concerns? and Sacha
says we are now considering the environment more? To coin an ex net

nannies
favourite expression, "I think not"

Look around you in this country. Houses going up on virgin soil and rain
which 'did' land on said soil and soak into the water tables, now down the
inaddequate drains and into rivers and after flooding the low lands, and

the
house which have been built on them, out to sea. I wonder why we have a

hose
pipe ban in force in April ???????????????????

Solution? Get rid of money.

Mike

all of my roofs drain into soak holes, no storm water. Eventually when I
figure out a way they are going to collect water for the garden. Big
problem, retrofitting an existing house in an asthetically allowable way. I
don't have the luxury of starting from scratch. I will get there and
probably a hell of a lot quicker than most others but even then it may be
too late. I have a company car which costs me nix to run but requires me to
drive for the job. I won't change the job so the gas goes with the car. If
things were different I would be driving a 20 year old merc run on waste
vege oil. Most people who have the option don't think of it.

rob