Old 16-04-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Default Bloated bream may need your help

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Mister Gardener" wrote in message

One of my aquarium books recommends throwing the fish forcefully on
the floor. I guess you need to hope and pray that the first hit does
the job. Can't remember what book that was in, I remember that I was a
little surprised to find this advice in an otherwise well written
book.

=================
That sounds sadistic when freezing or maybe beheading it would be quick
and sure. :-( I read about clove oil and alcohol mixed in their water
is painless as the fish just fall asleep and die.

Not necessarily - it would be similar to a large blow on the head....I
would imagine with a large enough fish it would be quick and painless
but not an option I would chose....I prefer the mixing of alcohol in
with the water....I would also try clove oil if I could remember to buy
it whenever I pass a chemist/health food shop....I could never do the
beheading bit....I've read that freezing is also quite a nasty way to go....

Gill