Old 16-04-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Default Recommend a tree to grow in a pot?

Sue wrote:
"Martin" wrote

After 20 years growing in a pot we have a sycamore that has reached a
vertigo inducing metre. A sycamore seedling brought back from UK at
the same time reached 4 or 5 metres quite quickly and had to be
removed from our tiny garden.

Each to their own and all that, but I think sycamores ought to be
eradicated from the face of the UK, not spread even further round the
world! After battling for years with zillions of seedlings from a vast
tree over the boundary I can't for the life of me think why anyone would
willingly plant one, pot or no pot! I curse the thing every time I go
near it but it seems immune to my black-hearted vibes, more's the
pity. ;-)

I've got loads of them First chance I get they're firewood, and I'll
replace them with blackthorn, hawthorn, beech, hazel and the like.

James