Old 16-04-2006, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

Default stray cats--a problem

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:13:57 -0400, (xim xim) wrote:

what's a good way to deter strays cats
from coming on your property

there're about 6/7 strays that cut across the
back of my yard all day long it's back and
forth

i can't fence the backyard in because the
senior community i live in doesn't permit
fences and the towns' animal control people
won't round up the strays not unless they
are injured

i have cat droppings all over the back i've
even found droppings on one roof corner
and in the rain gutter

any suggestions would be most welcomed

thanks

This is what I've learned about detering strays from asking around:

1. I've heard citrus really deter cats. I've tested this, by tossing
oranges at my cats. Now when they see me holding an orange, they run.
Just kidding, but serious about the citrus smells, if you can get
an extract or oil and spray your yard, that should deter them from
entering.

2. Another tip, automatic water sprinklers, some come with motion
sensors and spray an area down when an animal enters its zone.

3. Live traps. If you tap the animal, you can get rid of it, and it
won't return. I'm suggesting an animal shelter.

hth,

tom @
www.Consolidated-Loans.info