Old 17-04-2006, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Wood & Bark Chippings

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:13:00 +0100, K wrote
(in message ):
It's mainly that people differ in how important they feel the nitrogen
loss is. There's not much difference in that respect between bark
chippings and wood chippings. Some people feel you shouldn't use either
because of the nitrogen loss, some people feel that it is a transitory
effect, some people find that putting either around plants doesn't make
any difference. Maybe it depends on how rich the soil is to begin with?

I've just started using something called "fine composted bark". Does this
sound like the nitrogen loss stage has already pased with this? That's
what
I'm assuming....

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Yes supposedly the initial stage is finished but the process of nitrogen
absorption and release will continue until the stuff is finally incorporated
into the soil. I do not think you will have any problems with nitrogen
depletion.
I've just used a load of bales of compressed ornamental bark chippings on a
woodland path and although the bales have been lying around for weeks the
inside of the bale was quite hot.

As K intimates the nitrogen depletion thingy may be a bit overdone.
If you or anyone else feels it is a problem then a dressing of high nitrogen
fertiliser along with the chippings should alleviate fears.