Old 14-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Frogleg

Default beginner needs help on preparing the soil

On 13 Mar 2003 09:50:46 -0800, (audrey) wrote:

Although I'm new to this group, I have been learning a lot from
reading tons of messages concerning how to prepare the soil for
planting. Being a complete novice at gardening as this will be my
first time at planting anything, I'm still confused because some of
the posts contradict each other. I'm hoping that some kind
individuals can clarify some of my confusion?

Probably not. We argue endlessly. :-)

My situation is that I have clay soil (zone 6/7 Maryland/DC Metro
area), and I know that I need to do some type of soil preparation to
be successful at planting my flowers. According to some of the posts
that I read, they say that one should mix a combination of compost,
manure, fertilizer, peat moss, sand, and dirt into the clay. My
questions a

1. What's the difference between compost and manure? I mean not what
they are made of, I basically know what they are made of ;-) but what
benefits do they provide? Does each provide a different benefit so
that I need both?

Compost is, most generally, decayed/decaying plant material. Some
people throw everything into the compost pile; some restrict it to
veg/fruit matter. Commercial compost is virtually all plant stuff.
Manure is, well, you know what it is. "Composted" manure is that which
has been left to age, decay, break down, whatever.

Compost is used as a soil ammendment, dug into your dirt to improve
water retention as well as keeping compacted soils from sogging. It's
never inappropriate. Composted plant material provides little in the
way of nutrients, but is wonderful for improving growing conditions.

Aged or composted animal manure provides more nutrients, and,
depending on the animal, may also include some side-benefits as
compost. See above.

2. Some posts say it's better to use compost/manure rather than
fertilizer as the former provides a natural source of nutrients thus
better for the plants, but compost/manure are decomposed waste, don't
they make your garden smell?

As you may have noticed, there is a Great Gulf between the Organic and
non-Organic crowd. You will have to make your own decisions. IMO, a
plant doesn't know whether its getting nitrogen from a commercial
product or some organic brew. The discussion goes on and on, with good
points on each side.

No, well-rotted compost doesn't smell. Nor aged manure. In any case,
it's meant to be dug into the soil. Even fish-heads used as fertilizer
are probably not very offensive underground.

3. Some posts say that peat moss/sand/dirt don't provide any nutrients
and a waste of money, and some say they provide aeration and a must
for clay soil, and some say that compost/manure also provide aeration
for the soil? Which is true?

Sand and clay make cement. OTOH, there are many plants which enjoy a
sandy soil. Peat moss is a kind of plant 'sponge' that improves some
soils like compost. It's also fairly acid, so good for ammending
alkaline dirt. As you can see, there's more than one aspect to many of
these questions. Peat moss 'fluffs up' (aerates) the soil, as does
compost and, to a certain extent, manure. Sand doesn't.

4. Some posts say that good soil preparation takes several months to
several years, does it mean I have to wait that long to plant anything
successfully?

Absolutely not! Do the best you can to start, and continue to add the
things that work for you. Clay soil, in fact, can be nutrient rich --
just dig it up, turn it over, add some compost and a little fertilizer
of choice, and pray for summer rain. :-)

5. From this long list of different soil amending types (compost,
manure, fertilizer, peat moss, sand, and dirt), what are the essential
but also economical types that I need? And from that essential list,
what ratio of each of the types should I mix in with my clay soil?

It ain't rocket science. There are a million "recipes", but nothing
that matches attention, heaps of backbreaking work (you haven't
mentioned weeding, which is another important feature), and keeping an
eye on the garden.

Plants are both amazingly forgiving of less-than-optimal conditions,
and prone to die with a harsh word. Start a compost pile/bin/tumbler
and produce your own 'black gold' to return to the soil..

I've had pretty good luck with soil that "looks good." I love cow
manure because it just *looks* so rich and nutritious. I like to mix a
lot into dirt or container planting. I distrust so-called "potting
soil" or "top soil" except as a *part* of a planting medium. They tend
to compact, and you don't know where they came from.