Old 17-04-2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Where to Start? Soil Amendment Questions

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi,
I have big plans for my backyard, but am not sure where to begin. I
don't want to compromise the health of my plants for the sake of
speediness / ease.

My yard is 30 x 50 feet. Right now it is heavy clay (mixed with chunks
of brick and other crap left behind by my friendly neighbourhood
builder) and covered with a layer of extremely unhappy sod. In the
spring it is a mudhole, but seems to be drying up now (finally.)

These are my current plans... I plan to put in a hardscape area
(flagstone), a border garden along the whole of the fence perimeter, a
small pond in the back corner and a covered seating area opposite.

I was thinking of putting down a thick layer of wood chip / mulch from
the recycling yard, and tilling the whole mess under (including the
sod.) If I do this, what kind of results / problems can I expect? Any
better ideas?
Is this a poor idea for the area under the hardscape? (I plan to put
in a decent gravel bed under the flags...)

Thanks for your ideas,
Andrea

My general rule of thumbs.

a) Anything once alive is good. e.g. Wood chips

b) Anything that pasted though a digestive system is better.

Energy or time is needed with "A" so we pave our walks and walk on
it ).

Bill

PS

c) Plants can grow and 30 X 50 may benefit by a less is more vision.
Consider Japanese response to space. Sculpture?

Have fun and I hope you never consider gardening work!

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade