Old 14-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Pscylo

Default Cornish gardens

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:56:21 -0000, kathie let rip with the following garbage:
We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying near
Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but I
think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

Thanks
--
Kathie

I guess that depends on what you want to see. We were there last year in
early September, which is probably a bit late to get the best. That
said, Eden you can visit pretty much whenever you want (check their web
site for the best visting times, it can get busy spec. at the height of
summer). Got to say, I'm glad I saw Eden, but I think it was a little
overrated.

If you're staying in Falmouth, you could do Eden and Helligan in a long
day (there not far apart, and Helligan is probably the more
interesting).

If you're in Falmouth though you absolutely must visit Trebah gardens,
its not far away from Falmouth on the Helford estuary (interestingly its
where some of the DDay troops left from). And really you're after seeing
the rhododendrons (100 year old ones!), so I would have thought end June
beginning July would be good.

Check the website:

http://www.trebah-garden.co.uk/index.html

And maybe give them a call and ask, this ones not huge and is reasonably
priced and can be done comfortably in half a day, and you can drive
further on and do the Lizard at the same time.

Have a great time, I know we did and we're going back this year.

Pscylo