Old 17-04-2006, 05:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

Default New garden

DH *loves* jalapenos! I bought 2 plants yesterday, 6-pack of banana and a
couple bell pepper plants. I need to get them planted tonight. He would
love okra and green beans but all my 'gardening' is done in containers, in
very sunny space on the deck. Perhaps I should get a bit... is it too
late
for an okra plant? Do they love the sun?

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

I grow everything *but* jalapenos, the iceberg lettuce of capsicums! G
Seriously, they aren't bad; a little bit grassy / herbal to my taste, just
that there are so many more interesting choices out there. For general
seasoning I prefer the brighter flavor of serranos; the chinensis subspecies
have a very pleasant tropical, almost fruity flavor, and I enjoy the wild
bitterness of the small peppers, tepins & pequins.

It's not too late for okra; it's the only thing I've found that truly
thrives in our August heat. Beautiful cream colored hibiscus looking
flowers (they're related), and you can't kill them with a baseball bat.

--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX