Old 17-04-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Quick-acting nitrogen feeds- how often?

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...

When giving fairly quick-acting high-nitrogen plant foods commencing
around
this time of year, how often should they be given?

I'm trying to get my rosa rugosas to reach a decent height quickly and am
not
concerned about them flowering- I just need the height and the thorns.

I got some dried blood and this is apparently reasonably quick-acting. I
suspect that if it is quick-acting then it will also be
quick-disappearing.
No instructions supplied other than dosage. Would every two weeks be too
often?

I also got some urea but that looks so high in nitrogen I'm scared to use
it....

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

I suppose every couple of weeks would be OK but---Are you sure about trying
to boost the growth with just Nitrogen?
You need root growth also --so perhaps you need phosphate as well.
I would have thought that regular feeding with a balanced fertiliser would
achieve your wishes.

Urea contains approx 4 times the N content of Dried Blood--so use a quarter
of the amount.