Old 18-04-2006, 12:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Default Tulips

"Dave Turner" writes:
How easy are tulips to grow? and can you only grow them from buds or
whatever (as opposed to seed)? im in Perth and I remember seeing a massive
tulip display at Araluen botanical garden once which was pretty impressive
and got me thinking about growing a few in my front garden

Google will help you here. You grow tulips from bulbs, each about
the size of a medium onion. I think they planted a potful of them on
ABC tv's gardening program last weekend. Possibly you could harvest your
own seeds as an experiment, but the resulting colours might be
disappointing even if they were viable. I seem to recall that cutting
off a flower makes the bulb it was growing from no good for any future
seasons.

There is something about storing some bulbs in the crisper of the
fridge for a few weeks so they think they've been through winter, but
I'm not sure whether this applies to tulips. Google will tell you.

http://www.google.com.au