Old 17-04-2006, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fiffer

Default Homebase Ripoff?

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:22:18 +0100, Saxman
wrote:

I took a packet of Suttons Beefsteak tomato seed to a Homebase checkout
today. The staff member requested £3.25 for payment! I protested and
queried it, only to be told that it was correct.

I refused to pay and purchased a packet of Suttons Marmande beefsteak
tomato seed for £1.29 in a Wyevale nursery about mile down the road.

I think Homebase is becoming too expensive now.

Good for you! Some people would just have paid the price to avoid
confrontation. I'm with you on this one. Work out the percentage.
The Homebase price was over 250% what you paid by shopping around.

I used to buy seed from someone at a car boot sale who had seed from
major 'brands' that was just past it's sell by date. I used to pay
around 20% of the normal sale price but suffered less than a 10%
germination failure rate.

When you eventually eat your beefsteak tomatoes, just remember your
saving and they will taste even better!

fiffer