Old 14-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Sharon Curtis

Default Cornish gardens

In article ,
Pscylo wrote:
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:56:21 -0000, kathie let rip with the following garbage:
We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying near
Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but I
think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden project).

Which would be the best at this time of year?

snip
If you're staying in Falmouth, you could do Eden and Helligan in a long
day (there not far apart, and Helligan is probably the more
interesting).

If you're in Falmouth though you absolutely must visit Trebah gardens,

I've seen Heligan, Trebah, Eden and Tresco.
Of the four, I'd rate them in the order of Heligan first, then
Eden, Tresco, Trebah.

Tresco gardens, being on Tresco, in the Isles of Scilly, isn't so
accessible, but still very nice. Eden probably wins just a little
at this time of year because it's nice and warm in those greenhouses :-)
Eden and Heligan I would say have a lot to interest even if it's
not the best time of year (I've only been at limited times).

Eden has its greenhouses, the varieties and displays, and Heligan has
the interesting history and restoration, so you have the before and
after pictures.

Trebah, well, it was nice (particularly tree ferns and hyrangeas,
both of which I wouldn't imagine to be in action this time of year),
but for me, Heligan is more interesting by a long shot.

www.heligan.com

to add to your URL collection :-)
I'd recommend at least half a day for Heligan, preferably a full day.

Sharon