Old 18-04-2006, 03:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
FlowerGirl

Default Disappearing magpies

"Basil Chupin" wrote in message
FlowerGirl wrote:
wrote in message
After some 7 years of visiting 2/3 times a day, rearing yourg ones our
parent magpies have just stopped coming and have not bee seen now for
a week.

In suburbia.

Is the something that "just happens"?

Yeah - different food available and the young ones should be grown a bit

by
now so lesser need for free handouts.
If they have gone its not a necessarily bad sign ... they're very good

at
living with humans and tend to chase other bird species away. Generally

here in Brisbane anyway ... you tend to have magpies, noisy miners and
butcher birds co-habiting, but they'll all gang up on kookas,

kingfishers
and other native birds.
The birders around here tend to regard them almost like ferals.
Amanda

Are you really talking about magpies or the (Pied) Currawong?

Currawongs will displace the magpie and try and take over their nests
if given the chance and, unlike the magpie, they travel in groups and
'attack' in groups. The only time I have seen a magpie attack anything
is when it is protecting its territory during the breeding season.

Yes magpies. We don't have currawongs here.
Actually magpies, butcher birds and noisy miners are probably the worst
urban native birds at displacing other native species.
Amanda