Old 18-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Scotia Scotia is offline
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman
I took a packet of Suttons Beefsteak tomato seed to a Homebase checkout
today. The staff member requested £3.25 for payment! I protested and
queried it, only to be told that it was correct.

I refused to pay and purchased a packet of Suttons Marmande beefsteak
tomato seed for £1.29 in a Wyevale nursery about mile down the road.

I think Homebase is becoming too expensive now.
I agree!!!

I buy most of my seed 'mail order'

OK! the one I use requires a membership payment of £1-50 pa but the seeds are quite often 30-50% cheaper than their competitors so overall it works out much cheaper.

In fact I use the discount to buy the best (and often dearest) varieties and I still make a saving.

This year I made a few checks with my supplier, and other catalogues that had popped through my letter box, and found in some instances seed were up to six times dearer in these catalogues.

Incidently (for fairness) I only compared like varieties, and packets showing the number of seeds in the packet.

A passing thought; have you ever noticed later in the season how much the prices drops?