Old 18-04-2006, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Garden Banter and email addresses

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Hi,

I have just been contacted by an email from someone on Garden Banter.

The thing that is puzzling me is that I didn't think my email address was
visible on NGs.

It is possible that I have a registration on Garden Banter which allows
forwarding of emails, but I can't find any record of it.

So I am puzzled - unless the person in question is an Internet sleuth and
has cross referenced me with some other source of information.

Your email address is indeed accessible to anyone reading GardenBanter.
If they click on view headers, they're taken to a page which displays
a code they have to type in to prove they're a person and not a
'harvesting machine' but then they get your address.
The msg. they see is:
"Newsgroup message headers contain the email address of the poster. To
combat automated email harvesting (and the subsequent spam), please
enter the image verification text below which demonstrates you are not
a machine: "
and below this is a box with a random letter code in it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk