Old 18-04-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer

Default dandelions, grass, and tulips

Yes, persistence pays, and it also helps to have a good selection of
tools especially designed for weeding with care for you and other
plants. A large selection of such specialized tools is identified at
the Ergonica World of Weeds website. Start with the weed control page
for reference to safe chemicals and techniques.

---
Dr. Yucca: Nature makes plants, humans make weeds.

wrote:
my mother, the master gardener, used brick rows, but I pulled all the bricks out and
use an electric edger (menards) a couple times a year. it controls.
MOST IMPORTANT. in spring use a seed germination suppressor of some kind, corn meal
is organic, preen etc for the non-organic. pull existing weeds and their seeds wont
be trouble if you suppress germination.
of course, you cannot seed into those beds.
it takes stick-to-itness. It has taken 3 years for wild mustard (how long the seeds
last), I am going on 2 years for wild geranium. but eventually the beds get cleared
out. I am now working on all the phlox that crept in and took over my mothers beds
of lilies and peonies.
it is good exercise both physically and mentally... persistence pays.
Ingrid

wrote:

I agree that the old method of hard work and elbow grease applies when
controlling grass and dandelions. Disrupting the roots and keeping the
beds clean on a regular basis works for me. I also edge and re-edge
around the beds periodically to keep the invaders at bay. Mulching
with a partially rotted compost helps keep the beds healthy and clean

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan