Old 18-04-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

Default RHS membership con :(

"Typical" as with most ventures firstly they're screaming for your custom
and after the magical customer numbers base is hit, out go the perks and
wordplay plus greed takes over. It's called business.

--

Regards
p.mc

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Colin wrote ...
This weekend we thought we'd make use of the RHS membership that my
wife was given for Xmas and go and visit a garden.

We decided to visit Abbotsbury Sub-tropical gardens in Dorset as it's
close to the inlaws in Swanage. Therefore we visited them and got to
visit the gardens in one trip.

We chose Abbotsbury from the members handbook and so presumed the
entrance fee was covered under the membership.

However once we got their we found that the membership only covers free
entrance from Oct-Feb , well what the H**l is the point of that !!!

We were politely told "well it does say in the handbook" , yes but in
the small print !!!!!

We felt like we'd been conned as the tell you that the benifits of you
membership includes entrance to all these gardens but then in small
print have lots of exclusions

By the way Abbotsbury Sub-tropical gardens were very nice and well
worth a visit (if you don't mind paying )

As most of those gardens mentioned in the handbook are not RHS it's up to
them if they charge or not.
However I have noticed a gradual decline in the benefits of RHS membership
over the years...
First they stopped giving members free entry to the Chelsea Flower Show on
members only days.
Then they stopped carrying the more unusual plants at their outlets
(remember the old Orchid table at Wisley crammed with unusual species?)
and only carry what any good GC carries (but double the price for some
Orchid hybrids etc).
Then they did away with Sunday being Members Only day at Wisley.
Now they have so many members you can't get into the carpark at Wisley
sometimes.
I get the feeling it has become simply a "fleece the punter" money
generating organisation that has little to do with gardening except as a
means to an end. Perhaps that's just a sign of the times though, I feel
the same about the NT.
--
Regards
Bob