Old 18-04-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
KD

Default Colliery garden preparation/improvement

Hi all,
After a couple of years with just turf, me and the Mrs are trying to get
into a bit of gardening. The problem is our house and garden are built on
an old spoil heap. The soil is typically clay and extremely black (i.e.
coal slag) below about 7". We've started proactively adding compost, sand
and organic matter to the 'soil' before thinking of planting, to improve our
situation. Are there any other tricks that you can recommend to make this a
decent place to grow 'things' or are am I being too pessimistic about our
chances ?
All suggestions gratefully received. For climate purposes we are just south
of Edinburgh, if that has any bearing on things.

Cheers,
Keith