Old 18-04-2006, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

Default Need help identifying plants please

In article ews.net,
Sue writes

"androo" wrote
Some will be a lot easier to id once they have flowers.

Some easy ones to start -
1) grape hyacinth Muscari 2) Aquilegia 3) possibly the young shoots
of Sedum spectabile 8) Bergenia 9) could be a cistus type thing -
big shrubby rock rose 11) possibly Buddleia alternifolia, the one
with small purple flowers scattered the whole length of the stem.

Thanks Kay!

6) Could be Sarcococca. Has it got any little black berries on it at the
mo? It's hard to tell from the picture.
9) Looks like a Cistus to me too.
10) Are these two separate shrubs? The leaves on the left look different
from the right hand side. I thought the right might be some sort of
Rhododendron or maybe a Pieris.

Hi

Yes I think the no.10 right hand one is a kind of pieris, I have one
very similar in my garden, with lily of the valley type flowers on it at
the moment. And I think the left hand one is something else - it almost
reminds me of fresh new growth of valerian but I am probably wrong!

I would agree with the no.9 cistus/rock rose id as well, we have several
mature ones which look very similar.

I would agree with hebe for no.4, there are loads of different kinds and
the leaves look right for hebe.

No.6 does have the look of rhododendron with the buds on view.

You have some nice plants in your garden, congratulations!

Lynda