Old 19-04-2006, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Best type of pots for patio?

wrote:
I'm a man and a bachelor... so not a lot of knowledge
of plants and gardening

I have a small patio id like to 'class up" a bit by
using pots and plants

Question...many types of post to chose from. What is
best type and material for low maint pots and plants?

I'm thinking HARD plastic over the softer foam pots,
right?

I would also move these pots INSIDE my house in winter
and grow low care plants in winter as well. Peace
Lily's?

Anyway....advice on pots please?

My dwarf citrus was in 18-inch redwood tubs. Since these can leak from
the sides, they are definitely not for putting in the house unless you
put some kind of tray underneath.

Having to replace the tubs twice already for my dwarf lemon, I am
replacing them with terracotta pots (22 inches across at the top, 17
inches at the bottom). Both the redwood and terracotta breathe through
their sides. This keeps them cool in the summer sun so the roots don't
cook. The soil in a plastic pot can get quite hot after only an hour in
the sun, much hotter than the air temperature.

One thing to consider is a clay or plain plastic pot within a jardinière
(a decorative ceramic outer pot). Allow at least a 1-inch space all
around the sides between the inner and outer pots. Some people fill
this space with coarse sphagnum moss. Also place about an inch of pea
gravel at the bottom so that water can drain from the inner pot.

If the jardinière is properly glazed, you can bring the combination into
your home and set it on the floor without risking damage from moisture.
Use a cart, dolly, or hand-truck to move it. There are also wheeled
platforms made for holding large pots.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/