Old 19-04-2006, 12:28 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default fast-growing Thuja "Green Giant" trees?

I've been tempted by thuja from time to time. It seems to do well,
but then I'll see one which was healthy today, and totally brown
tomorrow.

I have an Afghan pine and it has put on three feet in the last year.
It does not like water too much, grows in our rocky, dry soil, and is
healthy if you don't overwater it. I just looked out there and it is
putting out foot long candles right now and we have not had much rain.

On 18 Apr 2006 11:09:25 -0700, "B F Smith"
wrote:

Clint.... Have you thought about bamboo? If you start and care for it
for a while it can grow and screen alot out. I have used it to almost '
jungle-ize' my place. I'm a bit So. of Austin.
BF Smith