Old 18-04-2006, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

Default Neglected Apple tree

"BC" wrote in message ...
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

snip
I would think that they should be cut back quite drastically - 1/3 to

1/2
their length - to get the tree back in proportion.

Thin high whippy branches will bear fruit but you won't be able to pick
them.

It is better to have branches which fork, the fork again to give a lot

of
small shoots, instead of single straight vertical stem.

Estimate how high you can easily get (with a step ladder or standing in
the
'cup' in the centre of the tree) and aim to trim back anything much

higher
than that.

No point in having apples if you can't pick them.

Thanks David. Am I alright to prune at the moment as some website suggest
only pruning in Winter? Also, I've upload some other photos regarding the
bark "sores" as I forgot to post them this morning. These things are on
every branch. Any idea what it could be?

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5007Medium.jpg

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...5010Medium.jpg

I have read/been told "Prune in the winter for shape, and in the summer for
fruit" which I take to mean do most of the major work over winter.

However the rules are there to tell you the best time to do it; if necessary
you can prune apples at any time of the year.

I would be tempted to cut back the high whippy bits now, to encourage the
tree to put more effort into the lower branches.

You lose the potential fruit high up, but the fruit lower down has a better
chance.

I have just performed major surgery on a Bramley, knowing that I should have
done it over winter and that I am a bad person for doing it now.

However it needed doing, although I did apologise to the tree afterwards.

Cheers

Dave R