Old 19-04-2006, 05:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
FlowerGirl

Default Disappearing magpies

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
Magpies have an undeserved bad name just because they have ongoing border
disputes amongst themselves and get entertainment from swooping on people
who react well (notice how they don't swoop on everyone ??).
I've just done a count - there are 32 native species that visit our yard -
some transients, some permanent residents, and I've never seen magpies
chasing any of them. Occasionally they might harass a passing hawk, but
that is usually in concert with other birds. The worst ones we have for
chasing others are the Piwis (Mudlarks) and Willy Wagtails - especially

when
they are nesting.

Fortunately the currawongs don't make it to our place.

Geoff

They sure do swoop on people.
However, the wildlife ecologists I work with regard them as almost "pests"
as they do defend their territory against other native birds.
Amanda