Old 19-04-2006, 03:30 AM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

Default New garden

Jonny wrote:
"Kathleen" wrote in message

C'mon Kathy. Prickly pear cactus grows wild out here. Don't have to

plant

it, water it, or otherwise. Expect flowers in a couple of months from
it.
Had to knock down a mess of it so I could get to back in end of land on

foot

last year.

Yeah, I had problems getting it to grow where I wanted it because the deer
were pulling it up last year. Now it has little buds all over it.

DH *loves* jalapenos! I bought 2 plants yesterday, 6-pack of banana and a
couple bell pepper plants. I need to get them planted tonight. He would
love okra and green beans but all my 'gardening' is done in containers, in
very sunny space on the deck. Perhaps I should get a bit... is it too
late
for an okra plant? Do they love the sun?

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Okra is another garden variety selection for heat tolerance.

Many people out here make a raised bed for a garden. Old well seasoned
railroad ties or landscape timbers work. As you know, the native soil isn't
too good for most common variety garden plants. Place in Dripping Springs
sells good topsoil by the truckload.

I shy away from chemically treated wood for food gardening. Here is an
article that looks at both sides.