Old 19-04-2006, 03:42 AM posted to austin.gardening
TLR

Default fast-growing Thuja "Green Giant" trees?

Wow, that's interesting, informative and a bit scary. I do have to wonder
if it truly was a non-invasive type!
Clumping bamboos is supposed to be genetically incapable of expanding more
than a few inches a year. However, I did read a while back that some types
of clumping bamboo do spread faster than others, but at a much slower rate
than the underground runner type.
However, this may be entirely relative if not expecting any spreading at
all!

Anybody else growing clumping bamboo in the northerly-easterly burbs?

Teri

"marcesent" wrote in message
My best friend lives in Cedar Park and her husband planted bamboo as a
"privacy screen" by their bedroom 5 years ago.

I told him baaaaad idea.

They were soon mowing bamboo out of their lawn - 20 feet away. It was
supposed to be a "non-running" type. They have tried every herbicide
possible, concrete, digging it out, depriving it of water, even setting it
on fire with gasoline.

I still get the I-told-you-so's in every year.. Ha ha!

Julie