Old 19-04-2006, 02:58 PM posted to triangle.gardens
marymind

Default Lilacs

Not Lavender, the herb....lavender the color!!
I'm so sorry you've had a bad experience with lilacs but perhaps you
didn't plant the proper variety for NC....mine did just fine.

Lavendar? yes... Lilacs? not so yes.

"marymind" wrote in message

I found they did too well....lol
Jo, I wish you had been looking a year ago. I had to pull them out of my
yard and would have loved to have someone to give them to...sigh
A friend had given me three different varieties (all common to the
northeast US) from his grandmother's garden - white, deep lavendar and
light lavendar (sorry, don't know the varieties). I remembered their
propensity to form bushes so I paid more attention to trimming branches
rather than what they were doing within the soil. Before I knew it, they
had taken over my entire garden with runners and new shoots.
They had sun from sunrise to around 1:30 pm each day and did very well for
the few years I had them planted. So I'm not sure why Tomatolord told you
that they do poorly.
Hope you find some. My neighbors miss picking them and I sure miss their
heavenly aroma.
Mary

wrote:

Actually No where - they do very poorly here in the south.

Summers too hot and winters too warm

Which is why you do not see them around in most of the garden stores.

Tomatolord

"Jo" wrote in message
.. .

Where is a good place to purchase locally? (Raleigh Area)

Which varieties do well here?

Jo