Old 19-04-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Stuffing our environment

"George.com" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message

It's only through the human ego 'you are the Shepherd and master of

all
you survey' shite written in the bible by man and man alone that has
percolated to these times that we feel that we have a special place.

I beg to differ. The human race believe they have a special place
because a far as is known, they alone are self-conscious in any highly
developed sense*, they alone believe themselves to be aware of the
feelings of others, and they alone are capable of forming abstract
moral principles. Regardless of religions which, in the views of
some, are merely belief systems designed to as to satisfactorily explain
some of the above features. The fact that such features may in fact be
a "fortuitous" concomitant of spare brain capacity is neither
here nor there.

a lobby group of fundamental US pastors has been formed urging Bush to

deal
with global warming on the understanding that god made us custodians of

the
earth, something we are not doing so well at. They argue that caring for
Gods creation involves environmental care.

I wouldn't want to base any argument of what US pastors claim or
don't claim. Apparently one branch of Christian Fundamentalists
in the States believe Armaggedon* is only around the corner in
any case - in the Holy Land. Israel has a special place both
biblically and geo-politically. Some aspects of US Middle East
policy really are a Crusade although quite where this puts
mainly non-christian Neo-Cons is another matter.

* an actual location in Israel/Palestine/Jordan/?

Just like all Fundamantalists, these people - quite possibly Bush
included are quite happy to die early in the belief they're destined for
heaven. They wiped out the Native Americans on that pretext and its
quite possible they're willing to wipe out the entire world as well

I personally put my faith in Big Mac Whoppers, Triple Burger Kings,
and unsustainable health care costs, bringing the land of the free
to its knees before we ever get to that stage. The lure of frying
onions will prevail. But that's another matter.

michael adams

nil desperandum

rob