Old 19-04-2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sterling

Default Pussy Willow Blooming Conditions?

I hope you found out - mine did not produce the catkins either. It is
still in the pot and the others at the same nursery were beginning their
catkins. I thought mine would fuzz out a week or two after I got it
home, but only green leaves..

However I did read this:
You can even cut the tree back to a six inch stump every 2-3 years
(severe pruning results in the longer stems and larger catkins). Flowers
form on the previous season's growth, not on new growth so
do not prune until after the flowers have faded.

so many ours were not pruned enough...

and

Of course, you will also be pruning with an eye to shaping the pussy
willow shrubs to suit your tastes. Use sharp anvil pruners and make your
cuts above nodes. Cutting above nodes that grow along the outside (i.e.,
furthest from the center of the shrubs) of branches is most effective.
An offshoot from the outer part of a branch will grow outward and is
less likely to cross over other branches. Branches of pussy willows that
are already crossing should be removed. They shade each other, reducing
the number of catkins.

and

Flowers - borne on catkins; male and female catkins on separate plants;
appearing and maturing before the leaves late May to early June.

wrote:
*Sigh*. Guess I'll just wait till next year and hope for the best....

Cori