Old 19-04-2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Indyrose

Default Dividing OLD hostas

I'm currently re-doing an area where the hosta have been living for
nearly 10 years without being disturbed. There are layer upon layers of
crown before one get's to the actively growing area. I tend to
carefully peel back these layers instead of hacking them with a shovel
(sometimes I have to use a knife) and keeping as much of the roots
together.

Will these pieces of older crown that have been buried under the new
growth begin sprouting eyes again now that I've "liberated" them? -- or
will they remain forever dormant? It appears that they have all that is
needed to get going again, since they are no longer crowded out.

Indyrose