Old 19-04-2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Default Underwater light (update)

Snooze wrote:
"Gareeeİ" wrote in message
Note: Use a DC wall adapter for power with 1 - 2 Amps output.
ie: 12 volts DC with a 20 watt bulb

Sounds like he's talking about the DC wall adaptors you get to charge cell
phones, portable electronics, cordless phones etc. Just cut the end off,
usually a barrel tip.

On the adaptor it will say something like input: 120v ac, output 9v dc 500
mA. In this case you're looking for something that has an output of 12v dc
and 1000 mA, which will give you a slightly dimmer bulb, but a longer bulb
lifespan. An output if 12v dc with 2000 mA would give you a brighter bulb.

If you can't find one in that kitchen drawer, or your local electronics
surplus shop, or radio shack, then there's always mail order.

http://www.allelectronics.com/matrix...nsformers.html

Good luck

Yeah ...I'm an electronic technologist so I have lots of these
transformers lying around. I never throw one out from old phones or
games etc.

Yes ...if you want the full Wattage from the bulb then
ex: 12 volt bulb at 20 watts 20W/12V= 1.67 Amps is the minimum
transformer you will need but as you said if you want lower brightness
then you can go lower as you please.

even if you look hard on e-bay this would cost you about $30.00.

I figure the homemade one will cost you under $10.00 and even less if
you have the transformer lying around.