Old 19-04-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Hardwood furniture oil?

In article ,
"NickW" writes:
| "Bobby" wrote in message
| Is it OK to use vegetable (cooking) oil on hardwood furniture instead of
| teak oil?
|
| All vegetable oil goes rancid except walnut, which is OK to use, Danish oil
| is better but is more expensive. I use walnut oil on wooden kitchen items
| such as chopping boards and salad servers, platters etc., and Danish oil on
| my garden furniture.
| PS - I'm a woodworker more than a gardener!

Eh? The affordable oil for wood treatment is linseed, which you can
buy quite cheaply in large containers from artist's stockists and even
good hardware stores. That doesn't go rancid (it is a drying oil), and
has been used for wood treatment for centuries and probably millennia.

Teak and Danish oils are new, trendy and for people with money to burn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.