Old 19-04-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default House plants outside during holiday ??

"Barb" wrote in message
news
I have lots of plants around my house - I haven't the faintest idea what
most of them are! - including a 3ft palm-tree thing - all of which are
doing
very well. I'm obviously "good" with houseplants.

However, I'm going away for nearly four weeks in June and no longer have
someone I can ask to pop in and water them once/twice a week.

Some of them have been with me for a while, and I'm quite attached to

them -
is it feasible to put them outside for the duration? On the basis that

the
outside temperature is in the teens during June?

Presumably I should put them where they are shaded from direct sun, but

get
the rain, and perhaps in standing water so they don't dry out.

Any comments greatfully accepted.

Thanks

Barb

Are you not having someone in to clear the mail off your doorstep? Or are
you going to return to the situation whereby you are unable to open the
front door ;-)

We were away for three months and had :-

A neighbour come in every day to clear the mail.
Family to come and stay from time to time to show 'life' with the curtains.
A daughter who called a couple of times a week to water house plants. She
lives a couple of miles away.
Another daughter who lives nine miles away, also to pop in from time to
time.

Watering house plants. Who does what and when?

We too have a 'palm thingy' (amongst many other plants in the house) and I
made a 'please do not let me dry out' paper, put it on a clip board with a
column for 'I was watered on' for a date 'by' whoever did it :-))

This is once again an example of getting on with your neighbours and helping
them on a tit for tat basis, our immediate neighbours have a big campa van
and shoot of for a few days at a time, 'Mike, Joan, can you look after the
green house please?' but then some people are unable to see this.

Mike