Old 19-04-2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Stupid question from a newbie

In article .com,
wrote:

I'm sure this is a stupid question but I don't know the answer (I don't
even know if it matters). I'm creating my first flower garden and
intend on using mulch, but I don't know in which order I should do
things. I am assuming I would plant first, water, then mulch...right?
I am using seeds as well as partially grown plants. Do I wait for the
seedlings to sprout a little before adding the mulch or will they just
grow through the mulch as they sprout?

I know I'll learn a lot through trial and error, but I'd like to start
off on the right foot at least

Thanks for any help!

Some folks like Ruth Stout said Mulch heavy and plant . I'd say try
various ways and learn by your mistakes.

One summer here it was real dry and I went with heavy mulch. However
the next year was very wet. A given with water is you can add it but
you can't take it away. So I'd err on the light side even as I am
watering new plants and a few favorites as we had a VERY DRY March.

Speak with neighbors the best source of info and if lucky cheap
entertainment !

Bill

No stupid questions ever.

--