Old 19-04-2006, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

Default Stupid question from a newbie

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure this is a stupid question but I don't know the answer (I don't
even know if it matters). I'm creating my first flower garden and
intend on using mulch, but I don't know in which order I should do
things. I am assuming I would plant first, water, then mulch...right?
I am using seeds as well as partially grown plants. Do I wait for the
seedlings to sprout a little before adding the mulch or will they just
grow through the mulch as they sprout?

I know I'll learn a lot through trial and error, but I'd like to start
off on the right foot at least

Thanks for any help!

there are no stupid questions. turn the soils, sow the seeds, plant the
plants. Gently water. then mulch around the plants until the seedlings
sprout and you can see who's who and after they attain a good height, then
mulch around THEM. some seeds need sunlight to germinate, and not knowing
what you're sowing I can't advise you on that too well.
madgardener