Old 19-04-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

Default potatoes - when to earth up ?

In message , Robert
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
: In message , NC
: writes
: I planted 5 potatoes a few weeks ago and they are starting to shoot and
: show a nice spread of leaves. When do I start to 'earth up' ??
: Now. I have never omitted to earth them up but believe that they are
: likely to be green if you don't.

Yes, green and poisonous

We don't earth up, we don't get significant numbers of green spuds, only
the odd one that pokes out of the ground. Even then only the end out of
the ground will be green.

Yes, green potatoes may be toxic - not he green-ness, - which is just
chlorophyll but they can also contain Solanine which is what gives them
toxicity. However, you would need to eat an awful lot of green potatoes
to suffer from it. Anyway it's easily peeled/cut off.
--
Chris French