Old 20-04-2006, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

Default Ants in the Compost

wrote in message
.. .
I've got a nest of ants in my biggest compost pile. It is still working
and hot in the middle when I turned in yesterday. Any suggestions of best
way to get rid of them? Thanks

You didn't say were you're located, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're
argentine ants.
http://www.pestproducts.com/argentine_ant.htm

They often build nests in loose mulch, top soil, a compost pile is like a
giant suite for them. Turning over the compost pile will encourage them to
search for a nest elsewhere. Or place a fripinol based pesticide, such as
combat ant gel. It is a slow acting poison that is spread from ant to ant
and can easily kill the entire colony.

-S