Old 20-04-2006, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Default Phalaenopsis disease?

emntee wrote:
Hi Leon

I was waiting for someone to mention honey dew. As nobody has, I will
mention it myself.
The description you give is of ....

clear droplets, some of which seem to burst and form transparent, thin
and sticky irregular patches on the leaf.
The droplets form on the surface, underside and along the edges of a
leaf.

This is a perfect description of honey dew which is quite harmless. Dip
your finger in it and you will find that it has a sweet taste to it. Go
on! It won't kill you.

I have often seen this on Hardcane Dendrobiums but I can't honestly say
that I have ever seen it on Phals, but that doesn't mean it can't
happen.

The only down side I have come across is that the honey dew can at
times attract sooty mould, which again is no great hardship as it, like
honey dew, can be wiped off the plant with a damp cloth.

For the life of me, I can't say that I know the reason for honey dew
forming in the first place. Perhaps some other member can ellucidate.

I don't think this can be the reason why your plants are not growing
well and not flowering. Perhaps there are other problems involved here.

And I don't see any connection between this and spide mites either.

Good luck anyway.

Tony

I don't know, Tony.... The term "Honey Dew" is usually reserved for the
sticky liquid excreted by aphids and some other sap sucking insects.
Even though I am told that it contains sugar, I'm NOT tasting that
stuff. ;-)
Actually, I know that is not what you are talking about. You are talking
about that clear sweet drops of liquid produced by many orchids,
especially around the maturing buds (but at other locations as well).
This is usually produced by healthy orchids in vigorous growth and the
Phals in question don't fit that description. In this case, I took the
drops of liquid to be a sign of a problem. I could be wrong.

Steve