Old 14-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Martin Sykes

Default drooping crocii - help

"Chris Stewart" wrote in message
Could you have been too kind to them - is the ground too fertile -

promoting
growth but not strength?
Chris

I've got the same problem. It could be the soil fertility ( I'm in my second
year of a garden on developed farmland ). My soil is sandy (probably
impoerted by the builders ) for about a foot over clay. My cosmos which were
supposed to be 3ft got to almost 7ft last year so it could be too fertile
(if that's possible).

I think its more likely that the rain is too much for them though ( I'm near
Manchester). The daffs and snowdrops are holding their heads up high. Just
the crocus' having a problem so maybe because they face upwards they're
filling with rain and flopping. It seems to be mostly a problem where
they've been planted last autumn. The ones from the year before have clumped
up a bit and seem to be supporting each other.

Martin