Old 20-04-2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
koi lo

Default Underwater light (update)

oh.Derek is now a freaking electrician.No Derek, first you have to
grow the **** up you moron and quit throwing tantrums

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:20:45 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

x-CanadianCowboyİ wrote:
x-
x- Gareeeİ wrote:
x-
x- Can I just replace those with higher wattage ones, like some of the other
x- fuses in my home? (The laundry rooms fuse is MUCH higher, and is where we
x- plug the outdoor tools into when we use them, bu tit would be MUCH easier
x- to just use the outdoor plugs.)
x-
x- What is the current rating on your outdoor outlet ? If it is not at
x- least 10 Amps then what was the builder thinking ?
x-
x- The breaker box looks pretty "plug n play".. turn the main power off,
x- replace the breaker with a higher volt/watt one, and then turn the master
x- breaker back on.
x-
x- You just need to turn off the particular area that you are working on
x- and NOT the whole house or else you will be spending half the day
x- reseting and configuring your clocks.
x-
x-Please, don't just recommend he change his breakers without any analysis.
x-You'll have him burning his house down! Not to mention that an amateur
x-really shouldn't work in a breaker box _without_ turning off the main
x-breaker (as my wife continually tells me!).
x-
x-First, what size are the breakers in your laundry room and outdoor circuits?
x-Second, what size are the cables coming out of those breakers?
x-Third, how long a cord are you using to the outdoor tools?
x-
x-In Canada, both the laundry room and outdoor circuit would be #14 cable and
x-15Amp breakers. In the US, you might get away with 20A (I don't know the
x-US code, so don't take this as gospel!). I suspect your laundry room is
x-wired for 20A - but that _in no way_ suggests that your outdoor circuit
x-could also use 20A! In fact, it may not even be safe in the laundry room -
x-sometimes people put in oversized breakers when they shouldn't.
x-
x-When using tools outdoors use the shortest possible extension cord, with the
x-largest possible gauge. Most outdoor extension cords are only #16. This
x-lowers the voltage considerably over a long run, which increases the
x-current draw on motors. You probably trip a 15A breaker. Spend the money
x-and get a 14 gauge extension cord. If you put a 20A breaker on a 15A
x-circuit, you can easily get the interior wires hot enough to start a fire
x-in your wall.

If ya dissagree with what I post then see below......
The original and one and only frugal ponder.

---
! !
! !
! !
! !
! ! / !
..
Just for Derek and Carol and anyone else it may fit!