Old 20-04-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

Default Underwater light (update)

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Please, don't just recommend he change his breakers without any analysis.
You'll have him burning his house down! Not to mention that an amateur
really shouldn't work in a breaker box _without_ turning off the main
breaker (as my wife continually tells me!).

I'd turn it off anyway.. I don;t mind resetting a few clocks, rather then
get a nasty "surge".

First, what size are the breakers in your laundry room and outdoor
circuits?

The outdoor ones are 15, and the laundry room is 30.

Second, what size are the cables coming out of those breakers?
Third, how long a cord are you using to the outdoor tools?

The cords are just the standard built in cords to the devices. The leaf
blower doesn't trip the circuit, but both the electric weed whacker and my
pressure washer do. (Not heavy duty commercial items, but run of the mill
readily available equipment.

Fortunately, the house comes with a complete electrical harness guide, and a
quick glance appeared to also show limitations as well. I'll need to read up
on what's what.

I've replaced sockets in the house before, and added dimmer light switches
and ceiling fans myself with no ill effects (other then a sore back working
on the damned ceiling fan), and I did partial rewiring of some old wiring in
my mom's old house, and as long as you research a little first, I think you
a pretty safe doing minor stuff like this.

You just have to read up a little, and use research and common sense.
--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)