Old 20-04-2006, 01:35 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default New garden

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Okra is another garden variety selection for heat tolerance.

Many people out here make a raised bed for a garden. Old well seasoned
railroad ties or landscape timbers work. As you know, the native soil

isn't
too good for most common variety garden plants. Place in Dripping
Springs
sells good topsoil by the truckload.
--
Jonny

And how do you keep the deer out?
I think that option is out of the question for me. Small scale container
gardening seems to work best here. So far the deer and chickens don't get
on our deck!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Some call it pasture fencing. The size of the slots I chose are 2 by 3
inches rectangular. 5 feet high.
Used treated 2X4s for uprights in the corners nailed to the landscape
timbers, and at the gate entrance. Cut 2X4 braces at 45 degrees to hold the
uprights in place from angular movement. Slapped a 2X4 on top to make the
rail. South end protected external to the fence from wind with plastic
nailed to this framing, and overlapped with 2X4s on edges.

If you live in Wimberley proper near the river and close to Hwy 12, you
probably are frequented by those almost tame whitetail deer. There's also a
flock of turkey that are just as tame that frequent the area. Most often
seen in early morning off of Lange Rd. A variety of ducks do frequent the
river near the county road 1492 crossing.

Loose chickens, I've not seen anywhere.
--
Jonny