Old 20-04-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JP in Lon

Default nettles in strawberry beds

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
Nettles abound in the strawberry beds - too huge an area to deal with by
hand - is there a weed killer that I can use without harming the
strawberry plants?

If you do deal with them by hand, you should collect them up.
They contain high levels of nutrients, shove them in a barrel and make
liquid fertiliser, and add some comfrey too.

One year I did this and grew the best tomatoes ever!

Watch it, though, it really stinks! Put a lid on it!! :@)

You can also eat them. Blanch them before using, to kill the sting.

Stuff ravioli with them, or even make sheet pasta with them.

Quite a few other culinary uses for them, but can't think right now.

--
J.P. in London.