Old 20-04-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Default hardening off

It all depends on how hot it gets during the day and how hard the wind
blows. Hardening off prepares the new plants for both. If it isn't too
cold, I like to take the trays of seeds and set them out on the deck in the
sun, early in the spring and bring them in at night. Then when the plants
are big enough to plant and the weather will cooperate, they are ready to be
planted.

In your case, I would do it until the following weekend and give them an
extra week to gain more strength. If at all possible, I would start at 2
hours a day for a couple days before going to all day. Maybe you could
start it this weekend and go till the next one.

Dwayne (From Kansas)

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have started to harden off my seedlings with the intention of
planting them this weekend.

I don't have access to a cold frame some I've just put them outside
near the conservatory on the deck.

As I work during the day I put them out this morning and will bring
them in when I get home.

Is this a safe way of doing it ?
Will several days of doing this be sufficient to allow me to plant them
out this weekend ?

Cheers

Colin