Old 20-04-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ants in the Compost

If anyone else is having this problem I found this answer on
www.plantanswers.com:
Make a solution of diazinon and drench the pile; this will get rid the ants
but not damage the usefulness of the compost. You could also apply a fire
ant bait such as Amdro around the base of the pile and let the ants
come?and?get?it!!!

personally I am going to try both, just hope they don't take up residence
anywhere else!
wrote in message
I'm in GA, not the fire-ants or carpenter I'm sure. Small blackish-red
ones might have been brown. I think my mom called them **** ants (sorry)
when I was little although they may be argentine.

Oh my I just read the link you sent. They must be the worse kind to have
anywhere must less a compost pile. I hope they don't get in my house!

Will this fripinol pesticide damage plants later you think when/if I can
use it? I would sure hate to lose it. It's my last pile for the summer.

I read boiling water might work but when I turned the pile they were
everywhere. I can see myself running back and forth with boiling water
through the house. A pretty site I don't think. It must be a very large
colony but I didn't stay long enough to count them. The whole inside of my
compost was moving. yuck. And I thought fire ants were the worse we had
going.

"Snooze" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message
.. .
I've got a nest of ants in my biggest compost pile. It is still working
and hot in the middle when I turned in yesterday. Any suggestions of
best way to get rid of them? Thanks

You didn't say were you're located, but I wouldn't be surprised if
they're argentine ants.
http://www.pestproducts.com/argentine_ant.htm

They often build nests in loose mulch, top soil, a compost pile is like a
giant suite for them. Turning over the compost pile will encourage them
to search for a nest elsewhere. Or place a fripinol based pesticide, such
as combat ant gel. It is a slow acting poison that is spread from ant to
ant and can easily kill the entire colony.

-S