Old 20-04-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ants in the Compost

Thank you Mr Nice Guy! Due to my acid soil pH I am already using lime in my
compost. I just started a couple weeks ago and saw them when I turned it,
but I did not realize it was such a big colony or what kind they were. Lime
doesn't seem to have affected them much. Maybe I need to add in some more?
"Nice Guy" wrote in message
All the above pesticide advice is useful. I have also used garden lime or
quick lime to get rid of maggots in the compost pile and I would
conjecture that this same lime may well get rid of the ants as well. I am
not sure but would be willing to give it a try. Please let me know what
yoyu folks think. Lime, by the way, is great for your compost and will
not hurt the resulting mix as a soil additive

wrote in message
.. .
I've got a nest of ants in my biggest compost pile. It is still working
and hot in the middle when I turned in yesterday. Any suggestions of best
way to get rid of them? Thanks

--
Elaine