Old 21-04-2006, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn Coffelt

Default Lettuce: really basic question

I know this is pretty basic, but hey, that's where I'm at.
I've never had much luck planting lettuce outside, 100 yards from north
Puget Sound's salt water. This year trying seeds started in the greenhouse.
Put two or three seeds in each hole. Germinated just great, but now should I
thin the plants to a single one in each hole? The two or three seeds in each
hole pretty much all sprouted, and now crowd together 1 1/2 or 2 inches
high, second set of leaves.
Oh yes, two types of lettuce, one a "Romaine" and the other a "leaf" ( if it
makes a difference)
Will probably put some outside in due time, and try my hand at
greenhousing some. If I could only keep the darned greenhouse daytime
temperature down!!!!
Old Chief Lynn