Old 21-04-2006, 03:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Stuffing our environment

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day george,

on the plastic bag issue i have a different outlook, i tend to think
laterally and outside the square and comfort zone, those attributes make

it
easdy to adopt change needed for earth friendlier living.

for 1.. where did the push come from for consumers to adopt change? from

the
governements of our countries is where, and they where preasured by vested
interests namely the retailers of groceries. the price of those "free"
plastic bags has been factored into every item you buy. s for me i would
waqnt to see the retailers drop the prices of all their range before i

would
consider change, or it just simply becomes more profit for shareholder.

2.. those so called dreaded plastic bags break down very quickly in direct
sunshine, you could put them in a wire container and in a month they will

be
nothing but dust.

i prefer to reduce Len before I look at reuse or recycle. Whilst waste can
be disposed of in various ways I think it best to try and avoid it
altogether where possible. If the plastic coming in is cut down so the waste
going out is cut down.

3 the so called enviro' friendly bags are made of polymers (alomost
impossible to break down), and when they are in total use paid for by the
consumer they too will end up as litter but they will last longer, plus
those green/blue/red whatever coloured bags are made in china.

Plastic bags can be reused at the shops, the enviro bags I have are natural
fibres. Yes, they do come from China however our oil to make the plastic
bags are also imported. The miles travelled by the enviro bags is similar to
the miles travelled by the plastics.

I use large supermarket plastic bags for bin liners (I need about 1 a week)
and smaller bags to pick up dog crap when I walk my mutts. That is
conceivably the only usage I can see. Larger plastic sacks are useful for
carting things in bulk however I have few of those and do not get them
thrust at me everyday I make a purchase.

rob