Old 21-04-2006, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jools

Default Flaming ivy

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "jools" contains these words:

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an
effective
way of clearing ivy?

I am currently using a swiss-switch and a rake, but it is apparent that
its
going to take several repeats to clear.

It quite a large area approx 40' x 40'.

Even green ivy is waxy and burns well. You could certainly burn off
the leaves (repeatedly) until eventually the ivy died, but my guess is
it would take several months (waiting for new growth to appear, flaming
again etc) and you might still have to dig out the thicker roots.

What's a swiss-switch btw?

Janet

A clearing hook, I find it pretty good. I think I will complete one pass
with the hook & rake - getting rid of most of the leaf and a good deal of
stem, then flame the remainder.
http://www.cjindustries.co.uk/it100004.html